STAR Questions
Tax Rates
Contact Info


Alternative Veterans' Exemption


The Alternative Veterans' Exemption provides a property tax exemption of 15% of assessed value to veterans who served during wartime and an additional 10% to those who served in a combat zone. The law also provides an additional exemption to disabled veterans equal to one-half of their service-connected disability ratings. The exemption only applies to the primary residence of the veteran. The application form for the exemption is available in our office or it can be downloaded here.  Applications must be filed with our office by our taxable status date March 1st.


The legal title to the property must be in the name of the veteran or the spouse of the veteran or both, or the unremarried surviving spouse of the veteran.


The exemption is available to veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. armed services during:
  • the Persian Gulf Conflict (on or after August 2, 1990);
  • Vietnam War (February 28, 1961-May 7, 1975);
  • Korean War (June 27, 1950-January 31, 1955);
  • World War II (December 7, 1941-December 31, 1946);
  • World War I (April 6, 1917-November 11, 1918);
  • the Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916-April 5, 1917) or
  • the Spanish-American War (April 21, 1898-July 4, 1902).
The dates of the Korean and Vietnam Wars and the Persian Gulf Conflict are prescribed in the State law, while the dates of the other wars are derived from Federal law. Also eligible for the exemption are certain individuals who served during World War II in the U.S. Merchant Marine.
Veterans who do not meet the eligibility requirements listed above may be eligible for the Cold War Veteran's Exemption.

Information To Prove Eligibility

The veteran must also provide his or her discharge or release from the U.S. Armed Forces under honorable conditions.  Form DD-214, which you should have received upon separation from the service, contains some of the information our office needs to determine your eligibility. Other written documentation also may help to prove eligibility, such as a copy of discharge orders, VA documentation for disability rating, etc

The documents submitted must verify that the veteran’s service was during a period of war or that the veteran received an Armed Forces expeditionary medal, a Navy expeditionary medal, a Marine Corps expeditionary medal, or a Global War on Terrorism expeditionary medal. If the veteran seeks the additional exemption(s) available under the law, proof must be provided to show service in a combat zone and/or a service-connected disability.

|Home| |STAR Questions| |Veterans| |Forms| |Tax Rates| |Contact Info|